Harris 5356 Aluminum MIG Welding Wire is an all position non - heat treatable MIG wire used to weld the 5XXX series
alloys when 40,000 psi tensile strength is not a requirement. 5356 is a very good all
purpose wire. It is the most widely used of all aluminum fillers metals. Common
applications are welding of boats / ships, bicycles, trucks, pressure vessels and
automotive parts. Qualified to AWS A5.10 ER5356.
Can this wire also be used to weld 6000 series aluminum?
Harris 5356 Aluminum MIG Welding Wire - 1# spool can be used to weld 6000 series aluminum. There are some things you must consider. Review the following information to make sure the 5356 will work in your application.
When welding the 5xxx and 6xxx series base metals the following considerations should be made when selecting the
most appropriate filler metal:
• For 6xxx series base metals, and 5xxx series base metals containing less than 3% Mg use either 4043 or 5356.
• For 5xxx series base metals containing more than 3% Mg use 5356 filler metal and do not use 4043 filler metal.
• For good anodized color matching use 5356.
• For higher ductility and toughness use 5356. This will increase resistance to crack propagation.
• For long term elevated temperature exposure above 150°F use 5554 or 4043. Do not use 5356.
• For higher shear strength use 5356. A rule-of-thumb is that it takes three fillet passes of 4043 to equal the shear
strength of one pass of 5356.
• For reduction of termination and shrinkage cracking use 4043 or 4047.
• For reduction of welding distortion use 4043 or 4047.
• For brighter welds with less welding “smut” use 4043.